Here are some cute youtube videos in honor of my hubby who has worked long and hard to become a CRNA (officially by the end of the year). Love you honey!

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Feeling queasy

So I had only been working as a tech in the ER for a few months when this happened. At first even watching the doc suture would make me a little queasy....so I knew this incident would be tough. We got the call from the medics that they were bringing in a girl who for her 14th bday was teaching her cousin how to jump on the train that goes through our small town (the train goes pretty slow). Well, she fell and the train cut off her leg. They brought the girl in and then one of the EMT's brought in her leg and he handed it to me. I was sick, I really felt like throwing up but didn't. We took her leg over to the sink and started to clean it up. It was a ragged tear and the leg had dirt, sticks, etc. in it. We got it cleaned the best we could and we sent the girl and her leg to a trauma center. The cut was near the hip and with it being jagged they were unable to attach her leg. I saw her a few more times in the ER over the next few years and she was doing well. She was also not a candidate for a prosthesis so she will use crutches for the rest of her life. I was proud of myself that night for being able to do my job. Every night at work I would get better and the nausea feeling would lighten. Now, nothing upsets my stomach!

4 comments:

CourtneyB said...

Wow, I almost lost it just READING that. (I have this thing about dismembered limbs. Eek!) I don't know how you do what you do, but you're amazing!

I do feel sorry for that poor girl, though. ):

Tifani said...

wow, I even felt a little queasy and I am a funeral directors daughter. That makes for some really interesting nights eah!!

Gardner Family said...

This is one of my kids favorite stories! They heard me tell it to family members and other friends. I sure you're a legend at the Ben Franklin schools!

Cindy Killebrew said...

UUH, that makes me feel better. :)