Here are some cute youtube videos in honor of my hubby who has worked long and hard to become a CRNA (officially by the end of the year). Love you honey!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

What brings you to the ER tonight?

Okay, so there are great things about being an ER nurse and I really do enjoy helping those that are in need of medical care...but then there are the 80% of those that I care for that don't need to be in the ER...here are just a few examples!

*I need my toe nails trimmed
*I need the wax cleaned out of my ears
*I have had abdominal pain for the last 3 months
*I have had abdominal pain for the last 5 years
*This mole that I have is changing colors
*I think I may have testicular cancer (this is a female pt)
*"I'm bleeding to death, it's pumping blood"...I unwrapped the dressing she had applied and she had nicked herself shaving her legs...it had already stopped bleeding
*"I have a headache, my husband has placed metal plates in my head...the FBI is tracking this and they are on their way here with pictures."
*I'm pregnant and I feel nauseated
*I need you to check and see if I am pregnant
*My body is burning
*I have had some small bumps on my arms for one month (this pt came in at 3am)
*I have a bad tooth and I don't have money to pay the dentist to fix it
*I have vaginal bleeding (me: when was your last menstrual period, her: I'm on it now)
*I was already seen yesterday but I didn't fill my prescriptions and now I feel worse
*me: sir please have a seat I'll be with you in a moment
him: well I just can't sit down
me: what do you do at home
him: I think I'll go to another hospital cause I just can't sit
(he was there for leg pain...I can only imagine that he stands 24/7)
*I think I'm getting shorter
*I'm having trouble breathing (when we call her name, we find her outside smoking)
*I have this big abscess and my friend that just got out of prison lanced it for me (he was bleeding all over the place)
*My baby has been fussy today (me: well, they do that sometimes)

There are just so many I can't even begin to write them all down. If you can think it...someone has been to the ER for it!

6 comments:

Gardner Family said...

I can't even imagine. I would be tempted to laugh in there face or get mad and tell them how stupid they are. You are a better woman than me.( and also have girls! :)

CourtneyB said...

What kills me is that these are the people who are making those of us who have kids with a hole in their heads or appendicitis wait for HOURS to be seen. Grrrrr.

At least your job is never boring, right? (:

Sharla said...

Man if I knew you guys did toe nails I would've come to visit sooner :). It does astound me how incredibly stupid people can be. I feel for your pain of the 80% of the crazies!

Cindy Killebrew said...

Man oh man! You recommend this field for me?

Dennison Family said...

Ha ha ha!! I love these examples! This was a great laugh! I showed to some of my co-workers and they got a good laugh too!! Thanks for the stories!

randivon said...

This is CJ. I thought that was great, but you need to add my personal favorite 3am visit, "My hands hurt." Me: "What were you doing when they started hurting?" Him: "I've been playing Playstation for the last 19 hours."