Here are some cute youtube videos in honor of my hubby who has worked long and hard to become a CRNA (officially by the end of the year). Love you honey!

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Gratuity Included

So here is the deal. Why is it that almost every profession in this world expects to be tipped (okay not every but there is a lot). This is on my mind for two reasons. #1 I just got back from a trip to DC and here is a list of who wanted a tip...

* Curb side check in
* Super Shuttle Driver
* Doorman at the hotel
* Tour bus driver
* Waitress/waiter
* cab driver

#2 Tonight, I was being the kind nurse that I always am :) and I wheeled a patient out to his car as he had a sprained ankle and no one with him to be of assistance. So I get him to the car and he asks if I would accept a "small tip" as he tries to hand me two 20 dollar bills. I graciously decline, telling him I was glad to help him and would not take his money. (As health care providers we are not allowed to take money from the patients.) I've actually been offered money quite a few times and as tempting as it is to take, I know deep down, I would not accept it even if it was allowed. I did have one patient ask for my address (I know what you are thinking but it was an old man in his 80's and I took care of his sweet wife for 2 days while she waited in the ER for inpatient bed) and he sent me a beautiful hand carved roadrunner. I have it sitting on my entertainment center.
Anyways, I really don't want tips...I've just decided that when it comes to the nurses...the gratuity is included!

No comments: