Here are some cute youtube videos in honor of my hubby who has worked long and hard to become a CRNA (officially by the end of the year). Love you honey!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pink Cowboy Hat


Okay, so a few weekends ago the ambulance brought in the little old lady. I'll never forget her or the pink cowboy hat that she was wearing. It didn't take long for us to figure out that she was a little short upstairs. I can't actually remember her main complaint, maybe abdominal pain of some sort. After only about 30 minutes of waiting for the doctor she called me over to tell me that she had waited too long. She rambled some other crazy things and I explained that she just had to wait. Another ten minutes and she called me over to tell me that she was leaving and that we had better "disinfect" this room due to the contents that were in a paper cup on the counter. She goes out to the lobby and a few minutes later the ambulance company calls us to tell us that a patient in the lobby called 911. Our charge nurse went out and kindly told her that she could not call 911 from OUR lobby to have the ambulance come and get her. About 30 minutes later I walked outside to get warm and this is what I saw....an ambulance by our front door with the lights on and the same lady sitting inside on the stretcher. This is what had happened. She walked outside and borrowed a cell phone...she then dialed 911, told them she was having chest pain and was outside of our ER entrance. Well, now the ambulance has to come and because she is having chest pain, they have to come with lights and sirens. I guess the lady whom she borrowed the cell phone from (and a bunch of others in the lobby) were very concerned about Ms. Cowboy Hat and was pretty upset at us for not taking care of her. So....

#1 Many people think that we are heartless, careless people!

#2 They will never understand that we really tried to care for her but she's just plain crazy!

#3 Ms Cowboy Hat got another ambulance ride, to another ER (I guess she had ER hopped all day with nice ambulance rides in between) just as she wanted.

#4 There was nothing we could do about it!

#5 Any guess to how much tax payers money she wasted on just this one day??


As the ambulance drove away I waved to her. She sat up on the stretcher, smiled and waved back. A few minutes later and truck pulls up and the man is looking for this lady. I explained to him what had happened...he sighed and headed for the next hospital. I told him to hurry. I doubted that she would be there long :)

5 comments:

Gardner Family said...

Love these stories! I gonna buy you a pink cowboy hat on our way back to Texas in July so you will always remember.

Julie said...

Spencer and I loved this. I love hearing about your adventures - keep them coming!

CourtneyB said...

Wow, I guess the grass is always greener! I feel most sorry for the poor guy in the truck driving all over looking for her! (:

Dennison Family said...

Ha ha! That is just oo funny! It is frustrating that she is using so much money, but I can only imagine being the one to talk to the ambulance, or the poor fellow trying to find her!

Cindy Killebrew said...

I don't think anyone could have stopped her.